Not being much of a black-eyed pea fan, but wanting to do the obligatory good luck meal, I came across this recipe via Central Market. It uses inexpensive dried peas. I enjoyed making it and eating it today.
Black-Eyed Pea & Ham Salad
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2/3 cup finely diced chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno chili, including seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound cooked ham steak, coarsley chopped (I used 8 oz. of pre-cooked, pre-diced, packaged ham)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- In a saucepan, combine peas with salt and water to cover by 2 inches. Simmer, uncovered, until just tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. (Do not overcook.)
- Drain peas and in a bowl, toss them with vinegar, vegetables, jalapeno, and 1.5 tablespoon olive oil.
- In a small skilled, heal remaining 1.5 tablespoon oil over moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Saute ham, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add honey and saute and stir for 1 minute more.
- Add ham to salad and toss well.